Tuesday 25 August 2009

Busy Skeptical Times

Sadly I have been spending far too much time preparing my talk for the British Tinnitus Association's conference and far too little time blogging. Hopefully all the work won't be in vain. I'm planning posts on Tinnitus Retraining Therapy, Acupuncture and food supplements.

As an interesting side note I purchased a pair of Biosun Hopi ear candles to demonstrate during my talk. I tried one out at home, not in an ear but a jar of spare change. I have to say it gave off a pleasant scent while burning but the 'filter' inside it was a surprise. It was a plastic tube with a simple cross of plastic on the centre which seemed completely insufficient to block a ball of burning wax.



In preparation for my talk I've also been feverishly reading some excellent books I'd like to bring to your attention:

Bad Science - Ben Goldacre

Healing, Hype or Harm? - Ed. Edzard Ernst

Snake Oil Science - R. Barker Bausell

Suckers - Rose Shapiro

Trick or Treatment - Simon Singh & Edzard Ernst

You may also be interested in this worrying piece of nonsense from the Kings Fund which appears to be arguing for different (lower) standards of scientific proof and research methodology for CAM modalities of treatment. A letter to your MP may be in order expressing your dismay with regard to this dangerous and irresponsible form of special pleading...

No comments: